Friday, May 28, 2010

Update #2

As of 6pm, this was the update from Amanda:

Well . . . we are still waiting . . .
We are all starting to feel a little weary at this point. John's 2 hour recovery has now turned in to a 5 hour recovery, and Heather is still not able to be with him. Heather and I decided to go on a mission about an hour ago to try and find him. We went up and down and finally found someone who knew where he was. We were able to see him for 5 minutes only. I went back with Heather, and we found a very sleepy and groggy John whose first question was "How's Nic?" It's not that surprising knowing the character of John. He was feeling very tired and nauseous from the pain medications. I let Heather and him talk for a few minutes, but then we had to go. Apparently they are still waiting on a room on the transplant floor for him. After walking back there, though, we could see how busy they are. I would say there were at least 40 post-operative rooms full of patients coming out of surgery.
Nic is actually still in surgery . . . 5 hours and counting. We got a report from the doctor that the kidney was peeing already, so that's AWESOME. That might even mean that they can take his dialysis catheter out :) We came in with high hopes to find them not planning on taking the catheter out (which meant coming up in 4 weeks for another surgery). So, I am very hopeful that they are removing it right now . . . They tell me he should be out of surgery in another 30 minutes or so, but then it will be at least 2 hours until we can see him. And, if it's like the 2 hours we were told with John, it could mean more like 3, or 4, or 5 hours . . .so you can do the math.
I am so thankful to have family here surrounding us. I feel pretty worn out. Seeing John all groggy and uncomfortable made me remember the last times Nic has come out of surgery . . . it just isn't that great . . . so I am prayerful that John will soon feel better and that Nic will at least be comfortable coming out of surgery. It breaks my heart to see them so helpless. They tell me to plan on being up every hour tonight, so if you could please pray for energy and patience on my part, that would be great. I'm not sure if John's night will look similar . . . so pray for Heather, too. I have had 2 cups of coffee in the past hour. My parents are planning on staying up here tonight, and Curt and Kathy and Caleb are talking about it since it's getting so late.
OH - I JUST GOT A PHONE CALL. The surgeons (actually nurses) call from the OR and give us updates every 2 hours. They are closing the big incision and are going to remove the catheter. PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to do a happy dance! No more Ern!! So, he should be out in about an hour . . . I'm glad I didn't know he would be in the OR for 6 hours coming into this . . .
OH - and Heather just got a phone call. He's got a room :) Apparently he's in 1128, and Nic will be in 1127 . . . yeah for updates!!!
OH - and the surgeon just came out. He's done with his work :) His words were "we needed a canoe to get out of there," in reference to how much the kidney was peeing. I have never been so excited about pee in my life.
Hopefully the next time I write I will have seen my husband.

No comments: