Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Parenting

So, with a 2.5 year old, I'm on a kick where I'm reading lots of books on parenting. I started a new book today called, "Have a New Kid by Friday" by Kevin Leman. I admit, that just a few pages in and I'm already thinking, "Oops, I do that." The thought that I'm letting sink in today is "Don't give any warnings." At times, I offer a warning, something like, if you do that again X thing will happen. As I think about it, it makes sense that Dr. Leman would suggest not giving a warning, because then the kid knows they have one shot to be bad before anything will happen.

My hat goes off to all you Mom's out there that make parenting look so easy. :)

4 comments:

Nichole said...

I have heard of that book and have heard the author speak on the radio. Let me know if you would recommend it and i just may go get it :) i think when i heard it on the radio they mentioned that about no warnings - but it can be hard to follow through sometimes - i completely understand where you are coming from. but it does make sense...

Anonymous said...

Hi Carmen - Love the BLOG, I will bookmark it.

Thanks for sharing!

DMASS

Anonymous said...

I have his book, How to Make your Children Mind without Losing Yours. I haven't finished it yet, but I do see a lot of those practical applications that make a lot of sense. I agree that those mom's that make parenting look easy deserve some sort of reward!!
~Alissa

Carmen said...

Alissa, I just finished that one before I started this one, it does have good practical advice. I'm thankful for books to read to help me out. :)