Monday, July 18, 2011

No pictures

I spent last week a bit under the weather, so I don’t have any pictures to share.   Thank you to all that helped our family last week while I was sick.  So, if you only look at the pictures, you can stop reading now. I thought I’d just share a thought that has been bouncing around in my brain. 

The first thing is that recently my accountability partner asked me to check with her every week and see if she had done one kind thing for someone else.  As I thought about that, I thought about how easy it is to just get wrapped up in our own homes.  For me, it comes pretty easy to do something for someone else in the heat of a battle or life change (new baby, moving, etc), but I don’t naturally think to just do something for someone not in an obvious situation.  As I thought about it, I have challenged myself to think beyond the obvious people (I am in no way suggesting you ignore those in obvious need!!) and just look outside my home for the little things that I can do to brighten someone’s day or week.  The possibilities are endless.  Pick a few flowers from your garden and take them to a neighbor, grandma, or friend.  Take a plate of cookies to someone you know had a bad day or leave them for the mail man.  Send a letter/e-mail to someone you haven’t talked to in awhile and just encourage them.  Pick up an extra gallon of milk for the busy Mom down the street.  Spend 15 minutes chatting with the widow from your church.  The list could go on and on.  So many of you have so inspired me as you come alongside those who are facing cancer and death and disability and so many other things, now I simply encourage you, as my friend has encouraged me, to look for that one little thing that you can do this week to spread a little encouragement for someone else.

Stay cool!

1 comment:

kinze said...

wow ... this is amazing ... as i was just driving home from our vacation i was thinking that i use motherhood as such a crutch at times when it comes to showing God's love ... like oh i i don't have time for that because i'm busy with my kids ... but it can be so simple and in the simple things in life. AMAZING ... love this post! and you know there is a song that i heard that talks about showing God's love ... once i think of it i'll let you know ... it's on wcic all the time!