Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Thank You

The past two weeks have been the most difficult I can ever remember having. Before I go on, let me just say that I don’t want you to feel sorry for me or to drop everything and bring us supper. I’m writing now as most of the experience is in the past and I can see light at the end of the recovery tunnel. I’ve heard some annoyance from a number of you about the vagueness of my post last blog post. I imagine I will hear from a few more of you after this one. :) I can’t fully explain my complications and keep this a PG blog. So the short version is simply this: Post delivery I developed significant swelling and a hematoma/blood clot. If you want more detail, you will have to e-mail me. The rest of the short version is that it was the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced, bar none, times 100. Day 8 post delivery my hubby entreated me to call the doctor because something was wrong. Last Thursday I went to the doctor where she discovered the hematoma/clot, gave me some WONDERFUL pain meds, and sent me home with the news that it could take as long as 2-3 more weeks to heal. Now, almost 7 days since that visit, I still have some pain, but it is quite manageable, I walk funny, but I CAN WALK – for 8 days I could barely move without weeping. Anyway, the medical update is not the reason for this post. It has been INCREDIBLY difficult for me to sit on the couch, unable to do much of anything for myself, unable to take care of my family. I’m a Mom, it’s what I’m wired to do, it’s what I LOVE to do. I’ve had to sit and watch my husband cook, clean, change diapers, etc, I’ve had to watch my mom do my laundry and take my daughter to preschool, I’ve had to ask my grandma to make me lunch because it was too painful to get up…some of you may be thinking that it sounds pretty great to be waited on, but I’m pretty sure I was born saying “I can do it myself” and it’s been a real challenge for me. I was struck this morning by how much the words “thank you” lack in this situation. To my husband and mom who have rearranged their lives to help me through this…to those who brought food…to those who have played with Kate/Lincoln…to those who have dropped off and picked up Kate from preschool…to those who have offered to help clean…to those who helped when Mike was away…to all of you who have done any number of small or big things for my family and I over the last two weeks, it is far from adequate, but from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU. I pray that should you ever need help, that you will let me return the favor. We are blessed and have truly seen God take our (my) tears and turn them into a beautiful rainbow.

2 comments:

djkl rassi said...

Aww, Carm. Sorry to hear about all this! Thanks for sharing your heart. Thanks for letting us know you need prayers...I'll be praying for you and I'm thankful the worst is past! After I had Layna, I had post-eclampsia and had to be on bedrest for about a week. I can't imagine the pain you've experienced, but I completely understand the emotional upheaval of just having a baby and not being able to take of everything like you want and having someone else do things for you. I cried all the time. Keep trusting...and don't let that rainbow fade. Love you! Give little Creighton a kiss for me!

Janelle

Nichole said...

thanks for being real and sharing, Carmen. after 3 c-sections with much pain i understand needed to be helped and wanting to do it yourself :) so glad you can see the rainbow. snuggle creighton a little for me because i so much want to do it myself!
love you
nichole